Candle making is a creative way to provide the perfect gift for that special person in your life. In style any time of year — candles are a gift that can signify a small gesture to let someone know you’re thinking about them.
A human’s sense of smell is one of the more powerful abilities we possess. A 2014 study revealed people can identify up to one trillion different odors. Various aromas are said to trigger much more vivid emotional memories than images. Now you can create your own memory-triggering scents through aromatherapy with at-home candle making!
The benefits of at-home candle making:
- Costs less than store-bought candles
2. Customize your own fragrance
3. Choose fun containers (sentimental items or just reuse Bath & Body Works jars!)
4. Makes great gifts
The supplies you will need:
- Natural Soy Wax
2. Natural Candle Wicks
3. Candle Container
4. Essential Oils
5. Glue Gun
The process you will complete:
1. Depending on which container you choose, you might have some cleaning to do first! If you decide to recycle an old candle jar, take a butter knife and scrape the wax and old wick from the bottom of the jar.
2. Once the jar is clean, start by using your glue gun to glue the wicks to the bottom of your containers. Depending on how large your candle is, you can use anywhere from one to four wicks, as long as each wick is 1 inch apart.
3. Then, melt your wax in a large pot on the stove. For every cup of wax needed, add 10 to 15 drops of the essential oils of your choice. Feel free to customize your fragrance. Use different scents to guide your senses to the desired fragrance.
4. Once you have the perfect mixture, pour the melted wax into your container. Try using a pencil or knife to steady the wicks if they are leaning.
5. Let dry and trim your wick. Add a fun label or, if this is a gift, add a list of the scents and why you chose them for that person. It will be their own customized candle!
Wait three days to burn to maximize your scent! Light your new candle and ENJOY!