Many find themselves traveling to spend the holidays with family where they will over-indulge on rich and fatty foods. To avoid the pitfalls and the weight gain that usually goes along with the fall feast, here are 7 fitness tips to follow this Thanksgiving.
- Pack a snack. Whether driving or flying, pack a healthy snack to take with you. It will help you avoid stopping at fast food venues and convenience stores for nutritionally void, high-calorie foods.
- Eat breakfast. A healthy, hearty breakfast will help you avoid over-indulging later. Think oatmeal, yogurt, fruit and lean proteins for a weight-friendly meal.
- Stay hydrated. Most of us are walking around in a state of chronic dehydration, which contributes to fatigue, weight gain and a false sense of hunger. Drinking more water will keep you satisfied longer and keep hunger pangs to a minimum.
- Have a plate plan before heading to the Thanksgiving table. Turkey is a lean protein and should take up 1/3 of your plate. Fill the remaining two-thirds with vegetables like sweet potatoes or yams, which are high in fiber and potassium, broccoli, brussels sprouts or green beans. Vegetables are low in calories and high in fiber, so you can fill up without packing on the pounds, and the vitamins and minerals they provide nourish your body while cutting down on cravings.
- Offer to pitch in. Whether it’s preparing the food, clearing the table or doing the dishes, staying busy with a helpful activity helps the hosts and keeps you off the couch.
- Don’t sabotage yourself. There’s no reason to skip your favorite item or dessert. Just keep the portion in proportion.
- Don’t forget to move. Exercise will help you burn off the excess calories and keep your immune system at peak performance to stave off anything you might pick up while traveling.
5 No-Equipment-Necessary Exercises to Optimize Fitness
Stay on the move with these five, no-equipment-necessary exercises that can be done anywhere. Try performing each one for up to a minute consecutively.
- Squats: Stand tall, squeeze your belly in tight, drop your butt so your legs are parallel to the floor, stand and repeat.
- Burpees: Stand tall, bend your knees and place your hands on the floor directly under your shoulders. Take a big step back with your right leg, and then the left. Land into a perfect push-up position. Stand back up and repeat.
- Push-up Hold: Hold the perfect push-up position and squeeze through your triceps for as long as you can or until you start to shake a little.
- Jumping Jacks: Everyone’s favorite warm-up exercise. Remember, big movements.
- Plank Hold: Hold a perfect plank position. Squeeze your belly button into your spine and hold it tight!
- Having a plate plan and a workout routine that requires no equipment will help you enjoy a stress-free, healthy and happy Thanksgiving holiday.
Damien Priester is a certified fitness coach and owner of Prestige Fitness. He works with people of all ages and fitness levels to help them achieve their goals. As a speaker, trainer, instructor and healthy living expert, he has been featured at hundreds of conventions, expos, classes and corporate events.