February Football is almost here. Bets are starting and grocery stores are stocking up with wings and dip for the annual watch parties that take place around the country as the New England Patriots take on the Philadelphia Eagles. In preparation for the biggest game of the year, check out these fun football figures thanks to Wallet Hub and NFL.com.
Big Ticket Sunday
Super Bowl LII (52) will be hosted in Minneapolis this year and over 1 million fans are expected to flood into The Twin Cities for the game.
- Over 400 million estimated economic impact for the Minneapolis Area.
- U.S. Bank Stadium costed 1.13 billion to build and holds 73,000 people.
- Minneapolis last hosted the Super Bowl in 1992.
- A 2018 Super Bowl ticket’s average resale price is $5,600.
- As of the Tuesday before the big game, a ticket in the lower bowl of the U.S. Bank Stadium cam in at $13,000
- The average ticket price to the Super Bowl LI (51) 45 days before the game was $10,150
- $5 million is the cost of a 30-second ad during Super Bowl LII
- NBC will make a projected $500 million in ad sales
The Philadelphia Eagles are known for their die-hard fans and rich history, starting their franchise in 1933. The New England Patriots are a beloved team with a four time Super Bowl MVP as their fearless leader, Tom Brady. Only time – and referees will tell which team will get the prize this year.
- This is the Patriots 10th Super Bowl and the Eagles 3rd.
- The Patriots have five titles and the Eagles are looking for their first on Sunday.
- If the Eagle’s QB, Nick Foles takes home the coveted Lombardi Trophy he will become the second quarterback to begin the season as a backup just to lead the team to history, ironically taking the title from Tom Brady.
- Tom Brady is playing for his 6th Super Bowl ring and has played in more Super Bowls in his career than the Eagles Roster Combined.
- The Patriots and Eagles have met 13 previous times in Super Bowl history.
- 13 of the 32 NFL franchises have never won a Super Bowl.
- This is the second time the Patriots have played in back to back Super Bowls.
National Holiday or Football Game?
In 2017 Heinz Ketchup pushed for a National Holiday on the Monday after Super Bowl Sunday. Aiming to call it “Smunday”, the company started a campaign and petition but to non avail.
- Behind Thanksgiving, people consume more food on Super Bowl Sunday than any other day.
- More than 1.3 billion chicken wings will be consumed over Super Bowl weekend.
- that’s enough wings to put 625 wings in every seat of all 32 NFL stadiums.
- Americans are estimated to eat 8 million pounds of guacamole
- Pizza Hut will give away free medium two-topping pizzas to “Hut Reward members” if the record for the fastest touchdown (14 seconds or under) is broken on Super Bowl Sunday
- 27.5 people will attend a Super Bowl Party of some kind.
- 15% of Americans would skip the birth of their child to see their team live in the Super Bowl
- 1 in 10 people will miss work on the Monday following the game.