The best line of defense against breast cancer is early detection. Take charge of your breast health with the following tips.
- Learn to care for yourself the way you care for others. Take the time to get screened – a mammogram appointment only takes 30 minutes at Florida Hospital and only costs $30 in October.
- Eat a healthy diet and maintain a normal weight by:
- Following a balanced diet that contains the main foods groups (fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy and protein)
- Eating whole grain food such as whole wheat flour, oatmeal and brown rice
- Taking a daily multivitamin
- Limiting alcohol intake
- Limiting saturated and trans fat intake
- Begin an exercise program and be active at least three times per week. Discuss any exercise program with your healthcare professional before you start.
- Examine the stresses in your life and find ways to reduce them, if possible. Daily meditation, regular exercise and yoga can be helpful tools.
- Have an annual physical exam so your doctor can establish baseline information that he/she can use for comparison purposes in future physical exams. Because even small changes can indicate potentially serious problems, an annual physical can detect an illness before it begins or during early stages of development.
- Get your screening mammogram. Florida Hospital provides extended weekend and evening hours at 13 convenient Central Florida imaging locations, so you can stay close to home or work. Contact your physician immediately if you feel anything abnormal during your monthly self breast exam.
- Tap into a support network to stay healthy, such as your friends, family, spouse/partner, spiritual community or online discussion groups.
To schedule your $30 screening mammogram appointment (offer valid Oct. 1-31, 2017), call (866) 366-PINK or make an appointment online at 30MinuteMammo.com.