July 4, 2022, brings opportunities to celebrate freedoms we enjoy because of our democratic system of government. Independence Day celebrates the unanimous adoption of the Declaration of Independence by the Second Continental Congress in Philadelphia on July 4, 1776. Written mostly by Thomas Jefferson, the Declaration states according to Encyclopedia Britannica, “three basic ideas: (1) God made all men equal and gave them the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; (2) the main business of government is to protect these rights; (3) if a government tries to withhold these rights, the people are free to revolt and to set up a new government.”
Though Congress has enjoyed fewer and fewer unanimous decisions as this nation ages, our daily freedoms of movement, religious choice, financial pursuits, press, to gather, and of free speech continue because Congress later approved our constitution using these three ideas.
Therefore, Independence Day approaches, let us think about ways to enjoy and appreciate these freedoms. Interesting ways can include:
- Support one of your local recreational facilities whether it is a local business or public park type facility exercising the right to gather.
- Talk with a friend about local or national government issues and see if there may be ways to collaborate for improvement using freedom of speech.
- Read a newspaper or the online application from a reputable news outlet to review how freedom of the press works.
- Pray or make an earnest wish for the well-being of your community and government to observe freedom of religion.
- Gather to enjoy a spectacular celebration that may include an afternoon of local attractions capped off by an exciting fireworks display.
As you move from point to point, reflect that there are numerous locations around the Earth where the local populace cannot enjoy these freedoms. One only needs to watch the war in Ukraine or follow the events in the several authoritarian-based global governments where freedoms are either restricted or non-existent.
Join me in celebrating Independence Day 2022 with friends and family and be thankful that the fathers of our nation drafted the Declaration of Independence. Former president Franklin D. Roosevelt understood, “in the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved”. Achieve your freedoms on July 4 by enjoying them with thanks.
LNRCC is a membership not-for-profit organization with offices located in Lake Nona at 6555 Sanger Rd, Orlando, FL 32827. It is not affiliated with, or sponsored by, Lake Nona Property Holdings, LLC, or its affiliated entities. Comments or requests for information are encouraged at Administration@LakeNonaCC.org.